AdWords offers a financial lifeline for many businesses, big and small. Finding helpful ways to manage PPC networks (i.e. AdWords and Adcenter primarily) are few and far between. Sure, there are several consultants out there a lot more than willing to cut into your profit margins, however the minimum contracts and fuzzy promises probably have kept you from taking the bait.
While there are certainly many AdWords PPC “celebrities” out there who have oversaw PPC campaigns of either great size or number, I battle to imagine someone who has poured the continual daily hours over the past 7 years because i have. Toiling over the best way to refine and optimize campaigns, ad groups, etc. to have also a.5% improvement has become my entire life as it directly correlated to the dimensions of my paycheck and success in our business. There hasn’t been one individual at Google and out Google that has successfully provided a suggestion or found a chink in my structure, yet there have been many who have said “wow- I never thought of doing that before”.
So with regards to giving AdWords tips for people who get in touch for ideas, 10 from 10 times I could claim that their problems stem from one of 5 issues.
1. Poor account structure – Structure doesn’t take into account like products, demographics, network, or geography.
2. Mismanaged or under-managed bidding – Adwords makes it very easy for folks to have lulled into default bids, AdWords despite its efforts at automating needs active management.
3. Inadequate ad testing for Ad text – Ad text optimization is really a tricky business. In addition successful ads become less successful with time, the criteria and binding the website landing page is critical – even more so in the year 2011 than ever before as quality score is playing a huge part in a campaign’s profitability.
4. Poorly mined keywords – Keywords are definitely the currency that creates PPC work. AdWords provides great tools for learning about keywords, unfortunately, they are fragmented. Besides CTR, cost/conv., impressions, match type and clicks; there are elements such as assists, search funnels, negatives, ROI, view-through conversions. These less understood elements are exactly what makes AdWords profitable and accounts need constant help to optimize.
5. AdWords not aligned with landing page – Not everyone is a graphics designer, me included, but you will find basic approaches which everyone is able to choose to use enhance your conversions. Keep in mind a strong CTR x strong Landing Page = maximum conversions.
Getting conversions profitably isn’t quite as easy as Google leads you to believe, but should you be diligent and actively manage your campaigns, taking into account the account structure, bidding, ad testing, keyword mining, and website landing page optimization I can guarantee you will be on the path to recovery. AdWords guidance is only an email away.
PPC optimization is vital to sustain success using Google Adwords. Here we touch upon many approaches to optimize your campaigns for better profitability.
Understand Keyword Match Types
Although an elementary concept in Pay Per Click advertising, understanding keyword match types is important to reach your goals. Google stops working keyword match types in three primary ways: Broad, [Exact], and “Phrase” match.
In The Search Engines search, a broad match could times be extremely broad. As an example, for a keyword phrase like “Kids military uniforms,” under the broad match setting, your ad might be triggered for searches like “childrens army suit” or “youth navy uniform.” Essentially, broad match is quite broad, so ensure you really know what you’re getting into if you choose to leave your keywords as broad (without “quotes” for phrase match or [brackets] for exact match.)
Using exact keyword matching by around the keyword phrase in brackets will ensure your ads are only triggered when search engine users submit that exact phrase, and nothing else. By using exact xrnyuh matching, it is possible to better minimize wasted impressions from broad searches and reduce budget-sucking click-throughs.
Because exact phrase match might neglect to display your ads for searchers which you actual do wish to capture, a great alternative is using modified broad matching. Modified broad is actually putting a ” ” symbol directly in front of each keyword (with no space) that you would like specifically mentioned in a user’s search query. The ” ” symbol ensures that this word, and only very close variations (like plural and singular variations) are what trigger your ads. So if we bid on the keyword ” kids military uniforms” our ad will still be displayed for search queries like “kid military uniform” or “kids military uniforms on the market,” not “childrens navy uniform.”